May 19, 2011

Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.

I need a break for sure...this week has been crazy! Living like a rockstar is more awesome in theory than in practice. My friends and I had so many adventures, and so little sleep. We've crashed on couches and in floors, stayed out until 5AM on more than one occasion, and generally stuck it to the man in every way we could. Some of these stories will be discussed in more detail in later posts (you'll get pictures of me and Liz making pancakes) but for now, I'm just going to share last night's highlights.

After a long day of cooking, napping and playing video games (more exhausting than it sounds) Jonathan, Jarrett and I were ready for adventure. At about 10:30, we decided it would be a great idea to drive better than half an hour to find our dearly beloved friend Chris, then, in truest American teenage fashion, sketch about and explore his neighborhood. We trekked across muddy empty lots in a housing development, climbed over a fallen tree, and sat by a creek casually talking. By the time we'd walked back, we'd talked about what seemed like a million things, and only about half of them were important.

One of the most important things we discussed was where we would sleep. After much discussion, we decided that since Jarrett was staying in a motel anyway, we'd grab a few beers and hang out there.

Best idea ever.

We bought the beer at a Circle-K a few minutes away from Chris' neighborhood at around 1:15 in the morning. We struggled to agree on a type of beer we could all enjoy (since honesty, who really drinks light beers?) We finally settled on Coors, but the store only had Coors light, and again, light beer=no bueno. So, we ended up with Icehouse. I'm not a fan personally, but I digress.

The best part was, I finally had the opportunity to say in the proper context "Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K." I've wanted to for forever, since the first time I saw Keanu Reeves awkwardly struggle through a role (obviously, I saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure before The Matrix and The Replacements.)

Then, onward toward the motel, which was another solid 45 minutes away. We crammed ourselves into the car, shared cell phone pictures, and nearly hit a possum. Chris led us through back roads in the middle of nowhere. I swear I could hear the banjos picking and the Cthulu cults  chanting.

When we finally showed up at the motel, it was after 2AM. There were only four other cars in the parking lot, and spilled Fruit Loops were the only sign that anyone besides us had been there in the last couple years. We went inside, watched TV, listened to music, watched YouTube videos, and passed around a straw cowboy hat. We also called up our friend Stephanie, who unfortunately isn't living nearby. We put her on speaker and told her about our night, and even sent her pictures of Chris in his Puka-adorned hat.

The moral of this story? If you're going to drink beer, start earlier than 2AM. I'm so tired and cranky, and I feel like it would be a good idea to bite someone's head off just because I can. No really, I can. I could make someone cry if it was necessary. But, I won't. I shall overcome. There's a lake trip planned for tomorrow night, and a bonfire on Saturday, so I can't quit now. I'll just keep being a rockstar for a few more days.

Don't worry, I won't trash any more motel rooms.

Peace, brothers and sisters.

1 comment: