August 7, 2011

The most delicious pork chops I've ever made.

I really wish I had pictures of these to share, they were beautiful. Unfortunately, my camera was dead, and we couldn't wait to charge batteries because we were STARVING  and they smelled amazing. They weren't that hard to make either.

Don't worry, I didn't serve my friends Doug Funny's dog. Also, for those of you who don't know, Teen Nick is re-airing old episodes of shows like Doug, Kenan and Kel, All That, and Clarissa Explains It All. Thanks, Nickelodeon. I needed more reasons to stay awake all night.

Ingredients I used:
  • Four pork chops (mine were bone-in, about an inch thick, so that's what the cooking times are based on. I'd love to try them with boneless pork chops, so if you do make them and you use boneless chops, let me know how it goes)
  • About 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt and ground red pepper
  • About 1/4 cup (four tablespoons) butter or margarine
  • About 1/4 cup (four tablespoons) brown sugar
For the glaze:
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/4 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
How you make them:
If you have boneless pork chops, hit them a few times with a meat hammer to make them nice and tender. If your chops have bones in them, oh well, they'll still be delicious. Next, mix together the flour, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper on a plate. Melt about a tablespoon of butter or margarine in a frying pan over medium heat. Cover the pork chops in the flour mixture and brown them slightly, about three or four minutes on each side. Remove the chops and put them in a baking dish (I used a clear 9X11 glass pan.) Put about 2 teaspoons of butter on top of each chop, and a tablespoon of brown sugar on top of the butter. Cover the pan with foil and bake at around 400 degrees. Mine took about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size and thickness of the meat. 

While the chops are baking and making your house/apartment/commune smell like paradise, make the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients for the glaze. Cover and simmer over low heat until the sauce gets nice and thick. Mine ended up a little thicker than syrup. 

Remove the pork chops from the oven and pour the glaze on top. Then devour them like a hungry wolf (sorry, Duran Duran references make me chuckle. They have the same name twice!) or eat them politely. The choice is yours. I served mine on top of rice, with a side of green beans, and it worked pretty well. Experiment with ways to serve them, then tell me so I can appreciate your culinary genius.

Eat well, Internet!

1 comment:

  1. So, was denkst Du? Sind die so lecker gebacken wie frittiert?

    What do you think? Were these better than the ones you fried for that Southern dinner?

    ReplyDelete